Final Reflection
Final Reflection
As
I conclude my final course with the EDGE project, I have reflected over the
year and am extremely proud of myself. I am glad SUU has given their students
this opportunity/requirement such as the EDGE program. I believe that SUU has made
this a requirement to show and teach the students to give back their time to
help others. This type of service work also looks great on resumes for future employers
to see. I think that SUU knew that they wanted to create the most successful TBirds
graduates with a service project on their resumes. I feel as if a lot of students think it Is unfair
to make this a graduating requirement regardless of the student’s majors. At
one point I too thought it was unfair. After completing my project and
reflecting I have concluded that I am very lucky to go to a university that
cares about giving back. I think that more universities should provide this
type of program for their students as well.
I
had a hard time in the beginning of my EDGE courses because I had no idea what
I wanted to do. I then decided to create a fundraiser that would get my
sorority, the school, and the community involved. I spoke with some organizations
and decided to partner with the American Heart Health Association. This
organization focuses on heart health and helping those who suffer from heart
disease. They mainly focus on women’s heart health and the research behind
that. Being in a sorority, we focus on women empowerment and when I heard that
the organization focused on women’s hearts I knew I found the perfect fundraiser.
I
then decided that to get everyone in Cedar City involved, I had to create a week-long
event with activities for people to compete in. I decided to create teams and
had guys volunteer from other organizations on campus be the leaders of the
teams. My sorority sisters were added to the groups to help the guys. I made it
a competition between the guys to see whose team would raise the most money. At
the end of the week there was a pageant where he guys got to have some fun and
we got to hear the results from the week-long fundraiser. The guy whose team
raised the most money was crowned Mr. Heartthrob. All the money raised was given
the American Heart Health Association. To complete this project, I had the help
from my sorority sisters and five amazing guys from other organizations on
campus.
My
goal for my EDGE project was not only to raise money for a wonderful
organization, but to learn more about myself. I learned that I love to run
events and create flyers. I learned that I am great with time management. I learned
that it was never about the money but more about giving back to an organization
that helps millions of people. The most important thing that I learned while completing
my EDGE project was about heart health. I learned that women’s heart health is
the most common.
My
goal was to educate my community about heart health and was to prevent heart disease.
I feel like I achieved my goals with my EDGE project. If I had to pick a skill that
I gained after completing my EDGE project, it would have to regard
communication. I have great communication skills, but after hosting a week-long
fundraiser I think my communication skills have gotten stronger. Some skills
that I had to use during my EDGE project were my time management skills. I feel
as if I am great with time management. During that week I was testing my time management
skills from the moment I woke up to the moment I went to sleep. That week was a
long and stressful week and I feel as if I had to use m communication and time management
skills the most.
Comments
Post a Comment